Raspberries

These are my lovely raspberries. Believe it or not, raspberries are one thing I've always wanted in my garden. So, when a friend offered raspberry plants a couple of years ago I eagerly accepted.


This is what they looked like at the beginning of July.

This is the biggest harvest I've gotten so far.

But since then, disaster has stricken.  Struck?  Strucken?  Disaster has hit.

Disaster in the form of chickens. 

Our neighbors have chickens.  No, the girls did not get out and eat my raspberries.  Rather, they attract flies by the million who all decided that my juicy raspberries looked like a lovely treat. 

And they did look like a lovely treat.  For a while.  Until, well, you know.

Now, my beautiful raspberries are shriveled up and decaying on the vine.  Or stalk.  Or cane.  Whatever.

The point is they are too pathetic to even show here.  So.  Pathetic. 

So, tomorrow I'll go to Sam's Club and buy a plastic carton of giant raspberries that have been hepped up on steroids and sprayed with cancer-causing pesticides to make them more attractive to consumers. 

I'll bet those pesticides repel flies.  *sigh* 

Comments

  1. sorry about your raspberries. And your struck/stricken problem. Have you ever worried about the past tense of hang glide? I worry about that one a lot. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Hang glid? Hang glided? Wow. I can see how that would weigh on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's "struck." But your rasberries look amazing! I have tried strawberries twice and failed miserably both times, and not for any identifiable reason like flies. I think you've inspired me to try rasberries next year.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts