Whew!

Was that the summer I just saw whizzing past? Goodness! We've been so busy I've neglected my blog even more than usual! Didn't know that was even possible!


Well..."Let me 'splain. No. 'Is too much. Let me sum up." (Anyone recognize that from the most quotable movie ever?)

Anyway, let me fill you in on our summer escapades.

Soon after my last post, John's parents arrived for a visit. While they were here, John and I escaped the kids and the city for a little 15th anniversary weekend away.

We went an hour south to Red Wing, MN, a charming town which happens to boast the Largest Boot Ever Revealed to Civilization! Yes, it's true. Come visit us and we'll take you to this very special, highly unique Minnesota site! (We haven't made it to the Spam museum yet, but that's next on our list.)


The person who could wear this boot would be 20 stories tall. They would *even* be too big for my dad! (Sorry, Dad, couldn't resist. ;))


We stayed at this lovely bed and breakfast where no children demanded anything of us and someone made cookies for *us!*
The next day, we went still farther south to Winona, MN.
(If you've read the Betsy-Tacy books, you might remember they have a friend named Winona who was named after this little town. Who says my blog isn't educational?!)



The town of Winona hosts the Great River Shakespeare Festival every summer.


Above is the set for "The Comedy of Errors."

As I am *certain* you will remember, I saw "Comedy" last year at the Globe theatre in London, so this production had a lot to live up to. It was a very different version, set in a New Orleans-like town, complete with lounge singers and southern accents, and extremely well done. It took a little while to adjust to deciphering Shakespearean language disguised in a southern accent, but thanks to hanging around with my friend Suzanne, the southern belle, I managed just fine.

I think I could stand to go back again next year. If John *really* wanted to go. I might be convinced.

Maybe.

Hmm.

Well, that brings us just up to July 17 and I'm exhausted. I'll have to continue my account of summer later, although I confess it might be *much* later since we leave on Monday to go camping and then go to Kansas City after that. *sigh* Check back in a month.

Comments

  1. The Princess Bride! And I'm so glad you had an anniversary get-away!

    Christina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts