Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Merry Month of May

The month of May has been its usual busy self so far this year. This coming week will really be the height of the action-packed month with final rehearsals and performances of the 4th and 5th grade drama, "A Midsummer Night's Dream."



As always, we're having lots of fun with practices, but it's always a little more fun when the students suddenly realize just how close the performance really is. This little shot of fear is a great motivator. We had a dismal dress rehearsal Friday afternoon, but I anticipate the rate of improvement to accelerate rapidly this week and we will pull off a creditable performance on Thursday night. Still, a good dose of prayer would not be amiss, if you know what I'm sayin.'


At the beginning of May, I also added babysitting two days a week into the lively mix of games, practices, lessons, errands, meetings, play dates, etc. in our lives.


A little more than twelve years ago, when William was about a month old, I started babysitting a baby who was just a month older than my own baby. This arrangement was a total disaster from my perspective. I was so new to motherhood; I had little idea of what I was doing with my own baby, let alone someone else's. I had to nurse and bottle-feed at the same time, or as was more often the case, listen to one scream while I fed the other. I was so relieved when we moved to Dayton and I could stop this job. I swore that I would never babysit again.


But, three babies and much experience later, I felt ready to tackle the challenge again. I know I went back on a promise to myself (and to John. He wasn't a fan of "psycho-wife."), but it's okay this time. I am really enjoying little Joseph. He is two months old and very sweet.

I'm pretty sure it helps that my own "baby" is now four years old and potty-trained.

And my hormones are not recovering from pregnancy.

And I usually get 7-8 hours of solid sleep every night.

Those things might make a little bit of a difference.

So, we've thrown these things into the mix of our usual mayhem. And that is this month's excuse for why I haven't kept up my blog better.

No comments:

Post a Comment