Kitchen Makeover in the Making

When we picked out this house, I said it was "the perfect" house.

What John heard was, "This is Anne's dream house.  She is entirely content with it.  She will feel no need to change any of it.  She will not concoct strange and frightening ideas of changing anything because it. is. perfect."

Oh, foolish man.

What I really meant was that the house has a great lay-out, plenty of room for our large family, updated features, many pleasing aspects.

I also meant that it has room for the kinds of improvements that fall within my fairly limited range of diy abilities.  Namely, paint.

At the moment, I have the kitchen and the master bedroom in my sights.  These are the two rooms wherein I spend a majority of my time, so their deficiencies, such as they are, are constantly before me.

In an attempt to deny the need for paint, I took one of the kitchen cupboard doors and stripped it of the shiny polyurothane.  Unfortunately (or fortunately?) this also took off bits of the dark wood stain, thus making is impossible for me to simply seal it again and be done.

So, I am taking the plunge.  Paint.

I know the risks.  I know the potential hazards.  Truly.  You don't have to tell me.

Don't quote me the price when I haven't got the time.  Not entirely sure what that means, but it seems to fit.

I have done my due diligence: read tutorials, tips, and tirades; compared and contrasted; weighed the options, and...  

Annie Sloan chalk paint seems to be the best.  Many bloggers and pinners swear by it and seem to get excellent results.  

What I need to decide now, though, is color.

Here is how the kitchen looks now.


Should I do all white?  White on top and something dark on the lower cabinets?  Lighter and darker shades of the same color?  Something darker on both?

Here are the available colors:


Paris Grey on top and Paloma on the bottom, or...Old Ochre on top and Duck Egg Blue on the bottom, or...Old White on top and French Linen on the bottom, or...all in Versaille, or...

I'm stuck. 

I know some of you have excellent taste in these things, so I'm looking for your help!  What do you think?

Comments

Popular Posts