Victoria magazine

Many years ago, a friend introduced me to a magazine called Victoria.  

It was this story in particular which sent a thrill through me.  The thrill of recognizing kindred spirits.

So many kindred spirits, in fact, that a whole magazine was dedicated to the things we loved!


Remember, this was the olden days, before Pinterest or Facebook or blogs connected us so easily with like-minded others.

Poetry, nostalgia, literature, art, beauty, flowers, history, and lots of flowy hair and skirts: bliss!


When the magazine closed up shop in 2004, it had 800,000 subscribers, and left an enormous gap in the publishing industry.  Some other magazines tried, but none truly filled the niche which Victoria had so beautifully filled.

And then, in 2007, she came back!

I happened to be looking at the magazine rack at Target, which I rarely do, but I think I always kept an eye out for something to replace my beloved Victoria, when there it was!


And there was much rejoicing!

Some say it's not the way it was the first time around and I'm sure that's true.  For one thing, there are far fewer photos that have been blurred to provide a misty, romantic aura.  And I'm okay with that.

I do think there is far more emphasis on women entrepeneurs; several are featured in every issue, rather than one issue dedicated to them, so in some ways, it's a little more focused on business.

More seize the new day than remember the old days.

But the romance is still there!

Lots of lovely lavender, blowsy peonies, luscious pink roses, bucolic countryside, stately homes, snatches of poetry, candlelit rooms, frothy lace dresses, fluttering ribbons, and more. 


I still get a thrill every time I see a new Victoria in the store, and savor each page when I get it home.

It remains an oasis of beauty in a loud, hectic, stressful world.

Comments

Popular Posts