Hot Milk Sponge Cake

My dear Grandma Copeland passed away ten years ago, just before Micah was born. A year or so ago, a bunch of her recipes came into my possession and I had lots of fun looking through them, watching for names and handwriting I recognized. Most of the recipes were not for foods I particularly remember from her, but the handwriting alone is enough to make me feel a little like I felt as a little girl, watching her take dinner out of the oven or carrying forks to the side porch to set the picnic table for dinner.


Now that it is fresh berry season, I wanted to make a dessert which features the fresh blueberries and farmer's market strawberries I have on hand. So I decided to make Grandma's recipe for Hot Milk Sponge Cake. I had never made this particular recipe nor remember this from her kitchen, but the card is written out in her handwriting and that's what matters most!

It is rather nice that it tastes good, too, though.


I mixed up the simple ingredients and poured them into a pan. I guessed on the size of pan since Grandma didn't write it down, but 9x13" was right.


It came out a delectable golden brown.




Warm cake topped with fresh strawberries and blueberries: pure, simple, delicious.

I like the using old-fashioned recipes. They generally use ingredients I have on hand, like milk, eggs and vanilla, so I don't have to run to the store for fancy stuff, like real vanilla beans or wasabi paste.
(Wasabi paste is rarely called for in cake, but you know what I mean.)
I also like using old-fashioned recipes because it gives me a sense of being connected to previous generations. How I would love to sit around a warm kitchen with my mom and grandmas and chat and swap recipes! Since that's not possible, using their recipes is a dim second, but is the next best thing.
So, Grandma, in honor of you, tonight your great-grandchildren will have their cake and eat it, too.

Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Beat 4 eggs
Add 2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
Sift together and add: 2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
Heat 1 c. milk and 2 Tbsp. butter
Combine all ingredients and spread in 9x13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

Comments

  1. I have a recipe from my mom that she wrote in shorthand. It is framed & hanging in the kitchen. Ken doesn't like it. He just doesn't get it. EVERY woman who has noticed it has thought it was really cool. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts