What's for Dinner?

So, this is just to kind of keep track of a new recipe I tried/adapted and want to keep handy for another time!

I am not ashamed to admit that

I love my slow cooker! 

So, any time I find something super easy and delicious for my slow cooker, I am going to write it down.  And when the whole fam eats it without complaint, it is definitely a keeper. 

This is a version of Rice and Beans which will offend purists, but which is delicious nonetheless.  If it offends you too much, you could think of a new title for it and just put it in a different category in your head!

The original recipe is here: Ranchers Beans

And here is my adaptation, made according to what I had in the house last night:

1 pound lean ground beef (preferably already browned and waiting in the freezer!)

1/2 pound spicy pork sausage (I used chorizo. Could be browned with the ground beef and fresh onion and garlic if you have more time.)

1/2 Tbsp. onion powder

1 Tbsp. chopped garlic

1 large can (30 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes

1/2 cup ketchup

1/2 cup barbecue sauce

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. chili powder

Put all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour, then switch to low for 3 hours.  (I actually cooked it on high for 4 hours but that was because I am paranoid about the chorizo getting cooked and then I was out of the house.)

Serve over rice.

A note on rice: I love the Fit & Active instant brown rice from Aldi.  It's got the healthy aspects of brown rice without the long cook time.  Win - win.

I do not by any means set myself up as a slow cooker expert.  I break the "rules" all the time.  But I think that's one of the best things about slow cookers: they don't care about rules.  They are rebels.  Rebels with a cause: delicious, easy dinners.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts